Pokèmon Go! is getting a lot of flak from those who do not understand, or those who see things online. However, it is an excellent app that is also doing a lot of good in the world and I want to shed light onto this, as I think it is important that we also recognize the good.
- To begin with, it is getting people out walking and enjoying the outdoors. In less than 3 weeks of use, I have hit my step goals and seen a lot more people outside enjoying the nice weather. This is a huge positive for healthy activity.
- With walking, you are able to download additional apps that help donate to charities while you are seeking out rares. I use Charity Miles so I can select a different charity each time I go for a walk to run in the background of my Pokèmon Master training. The apps are even making teams that correspond with the Pokèmon teams too.
- Many shelters are allowing people to walk shelter dogs on their poke-walks so that the dogs can get out too and hopefully you can build a companionship with the dog.
- People are learning about landmarks, local parks, monuments, etc. by looking for pokèstops. This is an excellent way to read through the plaques on the monuments locally and to learn about the important culture of the surrounding towns near you. Some of these landmarks and locations we would have never known about!
- Everyone’s making some friends. Everyone’s out pointing out rares, helping each other grab some gyms, and teaching each other. What a time to be alive when an app and game brings people together to go on walks and help each other!
6. In addition, (The Bloggess says it better than me) it is helping so many people with their social anxiety, depression, and general personal issues. It is getting people out and doing things, exploring, and overcoming their fears of socializing or going out. It is helping to ward off anxiety attacks, and getting people to slow down a little bit and have some fun. Check out The Bloggess’ post and let me know what you think about this.
Pokèmon is making a big difference in so many people’s lives and we need to accept that while some people are doing stupid things, others are really benefiting from this game and it’s a wonderful thing to see people coming together to be friends, working on helping a charity or a dog that needs them, and learning about the local history.