The Harry Potter books have inspired eight movies already, with a new trilogy of films based on the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them companion book coming. The HP films have drawn almost every British actor who has ever won an award. Soon, Harry Potter will grace the professional stage in London. These books are so full of drama and intrigue, they need to be retold, and rethought with immense theatricality.
Here are some of the absolute best moments which were inspired by or came about because of The Harry Potter series:
1. “The Deathly Hallows”–The HP films are wonderful pieces of cinema on their own. My absolute favorite part of all 8 films is the explanation of The Deathly Hollows. It’s Tim Burtonesque in its style, but still blends in perfectly to the rest of the HP movie verse.
2. Potter Puppet Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise–I’m not sure who first thought, “Hey! Let’s act out our Harry Potter fan fiction using hand puppets!” But whoever it was, they have genius. This is the funniest of the Potter Puppet Pal sketches, and it is universally loved by the whole HP generation. A few months ago, my friends and I were out at dinner and the people at the table behind us started singing the “Snape, Snape, Severus Snape” line. It was my friend who chimed in with, “Dumbledor!”
3. “Harry Potter in 99 Seconds”–This YouTube video is exactly what it sounds like. PAINT took all the Harry Potter books and summarized them in a 99 second song. PAINT has done some amazing videos, but his best is definitely his HP one. It’s fun, catchy, captivating, and really clever. He uses the tunes from the soundtracks for the films as the tunes for the different parts of the song.
4. A Very Potter Musical: “Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts”- Last year, for Theater Thursday during Harry Potter week, I watched all the Very Potter shows. As a self proclaimed theater snob, I had low expectations, and they were blown away by this opening number. A Very Potter Musical (AVPM) is a HP play that was originally put on by a group of kids in college. It became so successful, they’ve made a career out of it, and followed the original AVPM with A Very Potter Sequel and A Very Potter Senior Year.
5. Doctor Who: The Shakespeare Code–This episode of Doctor Who has the Doctor and Martha Jones going back in time to visit William Shakespeare. There are fantastic one liners if you’re a Shakespeare groupie, but especially if you’re part of the Harry Potter generation. The best part? The day is saved by “good ol’ J.K.” The clip of that scene is below, but it does spoil the episode if you haven’t seen it before.
6. A Very Potter Musical: “To Dance Again”–To me, Joe Walker, who plays Voldemort in AVPM, is the heart and soul of the show. He is incredibly talented and this tap dance really shows off his skills. In this number, Voldemort has just been revived, and all he wants to do is dance. The number ends with Voldemort and his groupies in a kick line. It is spectacular.
Do you have a favorite show-stopping moment from Harry Potter? Let me know in the comments!